Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Whimsy Be Thy Name!


Well, after a long hiatus, part the third of our three part look at Kitsch has arrived. You can download it via iTunes or directly via clicking on "Whimsy Be Thy Name!" above.

This time you will find yourself amazed at how drastic a change can occur in a person's speaking voice if he begins recording a podcast in prime condition while travelling at 60 miles per hour in a car full of people, finds the computer has gone wacky thanks to a large bump in the road, ceases production so that Thanksgiving may be enjoyed at yon Momma's house, contracts a sort of uber-flu during Thanksgiving, undergoes, therefore, a sort of binge and purge experience, and then attempts to pick up production where he left off.

Actually, I like the gravelly voice this produced. It lends a sonorous gravitas to the proceedings as I describe a visit to Dinosaur Land in Virginia's beautiful Shenandoah Valley. In this dinosaur dotted roadside attraction, expert attention to scientific detail has not precluded the inclusion of the Frankenstein Monster or King Kong or a gigantic landlocked purple Octopus -- which means I felt right at home. I hope you will, too, and that you will segue without too much discomfort into my impassioned speechifying about the hidden power of Whimsy. Pope John Paul II said, "Beauty will save the world." I think Whimsy will save the world -- or Whimsy at least will serve as Beauty's wisecracking sidekick.

Some news: I am gradually dragging everything under the umbrella of my new website -- http://www.ChristianHalloweenFan.com . That may sound unlikely at first. But consider how much is covered by that singular holiday. Spookiness (movies, books, comics, etc.). Popular Culture (whether an enthusiastic thumbs-up for kitsch or a grim thumbs-down for commodified content -- quite a tightrope walk, I know). Festivals (I don't think we have covered that topic yet). Costumery and Make-Believe (El Santo and other luchadores, superheroes, trick or treating, etc.). Religion (Christian and otherwise). Magic. Sacramental Theology. Liminal spaces. Uh... Monsters. Did I mention Monsters?

This podcast will remain virtually the same except that I may switch blogging to WordPress rather than Blogger. If that is the case, I will post an RSS link here for the new blog there.

Thank you to all the folks who wrote in after my brief tirade about "Does anybody listen to this or what?" Boy, do I wish iTunes provided some kind of listener data! Or that I could figure out how to use iLife / iWeb to do what I have been able to do over at GoDaddy!

Merry Christmas!

Blogged with Flock

No comments: